The New York Performing Arts Academy accepts on a rolling admission basis. Students are notified of acceptance or decline within fifteen business days of their audition.
All applicants must demonstrate the following proficiencies for admission to the Performing Arts Program & the Summer Performing Arts Intensive:
- A desire for comprehensive training in acting, singing and dance, while experiencing the rigor of intensive training.
- Clear articulation of individual goals; while many of our instructors are bi-lingual we ask for sufficient English skills and the ability to understand language in order to obtain best results.
- An openness and willingness to learn from instructors and peers.
- The ability to participate fully in the program.
APPLICATION PROCESS & REQUIREMENTS
- Once your application and all materials are submitted and received, prospective applicants are contacted to set up interviews and auditions.
- Application Form, 2 Letters of Recommendation, Headshot, Resume, Non-Refundable Application Fee.
- Application Fees are non-refundable. Application Fees and Tuition are payable by cash, credit/debit card or money order.
- Prospective students applying for a Merit and/or Needs-Based Scholarship should submit the appropriate forms with the required application materials.
- Merit Scholarships: Merit Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate outstanding talent and potential in the Performing Arts. Talent is assessed through application and audition evaluation. Full and Partial Scholarships are available. ($3,400 Maximum awarded on partial scholarships)
- Need-Based Scholarships – Need-Based and Work-Study Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. Tax documents are required for Need-Based Scholarships. ($1,000 Maximum awarded)
- Full-Scholarships – Full Scholarships are awarded on a case-by-case basis to students. Full Scholarship recipients are responsbile for the registration fee together with a $700.00 administrative fee.
- Housing is available through NYPAA. Upon acceptance to the academy, NYPAA will provide information for our student housing.
Auditions are scheduled throughout the year until available spaces are filled. If you live within 250 miles of NYC, an in-person audition is recommended. Prospective students should prepare either a monologue, song or dance for the audition.
Chosen monologues should demonstrate acting skills and strengths. Prepare a 2-minute, age-appropriate piece.
Chosen songs should demonstrate vocal skills and style. Songs should be no longer than 2 minutes.
Submit an electronic audition through email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applicants living more than 250 miles from NYC may choose to audition electronically.
Wait List Policy
Wait lists are created when a program meets maximum capacity. The proficiency expectation criteria for programs listed in the NYPAA Student Handbook and on the NYPAA website will be used to determine placement on a program’s wait list. The size of the program and departmental projections will determine the number of students placed on a program’s wait list. If a student is accepted into a program from the wait list, they will be notified when the position becomes available. If a student is not accepted from the wait list into a program, they will be notified at least 30 days prior to the start of the program.