Prince Harry ‘tortured,’ in a ‘bind’ over memoir release: royal expert


Prince Harry is conflicted over what to do with his memoir following the death of Queen Elizabeth II last month.

Royal expert and famed magazine editor Tina Brown has claimed the Duke of Sussex’s upcoming memoir may not ever be published and he’s “tortured” over the ordeal.

The “Diana Chronicles” author noted at the Henley Literary Festival earlier this month that there will possibly be “no way back” for Harry, 38, to worm his way into the royal family again if he publishes his book, the Telegraph reported.

Harry and his wife Meghan Markle left the Firm in 2020 and moved to California with their two kids, Lilibet and Archie.

Brown said at the event, “They’re now in this bind, where they’ve taken all this money and Harry has made this book deal where he’s supposed to spill everything about his horrible life as a royal.”

“But now he’s actually tortured about it because he understands there is no way back if he does it,” she continued. Harry is also rushing to rewrite chapters after his grandmother’s death on Sept. 8.

Catherine, Princess of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex on the long Walk at Windsor Castle on September 10, 2022
Kate Middleton, Prince William, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle walk to Windsor Castle on Sept. 10 following Queen Elizabeth’s death.
Kirsty O’Connor – WPA Pool/Getty Images

“If the book continues, I don’t think there is any way for Harry to return. So my view has always been that the book won’t see the light of day,” the writer went on.

Brown added, “The window is beginning to close but I always thought at some point a deal would be made and [King] Charles would have to pay back the advance to stop Harry writing this book.”

The Invictus Games founder’s memoir last year was initially set for a November 2022 release; however, it has already been pushed back until next year.

FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave after a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul's Cathedral in London, on June 3, 2022. Meghan has said that “just by existing,” she and her husband Prince Harry had “upset the dynamic of the hierarchy" when they were in the U.K. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, Pool)
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back from the royal family in 2020.
AP

The royal family is also reportedly “hugely nervous” about the book, Page Six revealed last week.

Tom Bower, author of “Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the War Between the Windsors,” noted how the upcoming book is a “time bomb.”

“I think that everybody knows that the Sussexes can’t amend the book in any way,” he said. “Can they make it nastier? Because otherwise, we wouldn’t get sales.”

Bower added that a chapter will be added about the queen’s funeral and will contain “more material about how [Harry and wife Meghan Markle] were snubbed.”

The Coffin Carrying Queen Elizabeth II Is Transferred From Buckingham Palace To The Palace Of Westminste
Prince Harry’s memoir is set to be published in 2023.
Getty Images

Author Katie Nicholl claimed in her new biography, “The New Royals,” that King Charles III wants to read the prince’s bombshell memoir before giving his kids, Lilibet Diana and Archie Harrison, royal HRH titles.

Nicholl claimed that the new king has allegedly been “reluctant” to make any title changes for Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 1.

“We know titles matter to Charles, and he reportedly wants to limit them to the top tier of royals,” the book reads.

“Would Charles go as far as barring Archie and Lilibet from becoming a prince and a princess now that the Sussexes are no longer working royals? According to a source close to the king, ‘It depends a lot on what happens in the coming months, particularly with Harry’s book and their TV show,’” Nicholl wrote.