James Corden will no longer host “The Late Late Show” on CBS come summer 2023.
The British actor-turned-broadcaster has just extended his current contract with the network for one more year, Deadline reported on Thursday.
Corden, 43, officially took over the desk chair at Los Angeles’ Studio 56 in March 2015.
“It’s been it’s a really hard decision to leave because I’m so immensely proud of the show. I’m thrilled to be extending [for a year],” Corden said in a statement. “I always thought I’d do it for five years and then leave and then I stayed on. I’ve really been thinking about it for a long time, thinking whether there might be one more adventure.”
The co-creator and star of UK sitcom “Gavin & Stacey” surprised critics who thought the newcomer was a bold choice for CBS at the time. But soon, Corden became widely known for his celeb-attended segment franchises, such as Carpool Karaoke, Drop The Mic, Spill Your Guts and Crosswalk Musical, installments of which frequently went viral on social media. Now, the “Late Late Show” YouTube page boasts ore than 10 billion views and 27 million subscribers.
“Seven years ago, James Corden came to the U.S. and took television by storm, with huge creative and comedic swings that resonated in a big way with viewers on-air and online,” said CBS President and CEO George Cheeks.
That’s why network execs were “keen” to keep Corden, Deadline wrote. “My bosses here at CBS have been incredibly supportive and extraordinarily patient with me while I made this decision,” Corden told the outlet.
Actor-comedian Craig Ferguson previously helmed the show between 2005 and 2014, following comic Craig Kilborn’s five-year stint starting in 1999.
Potential host replacements were not shared during the announcement.